5 Factors That Can Impact the Outcome of an Epoxy Application
When researching the facts about resurfacing a garage floor on your own with epoxy, be aware of these pivotal factors and their potential effects.
1. SURFACE PREP – Make sure you start with a clean, dry, and dust-free space. A professional will always grind or shot blast the floor. All oils, grease, debris, and residue should be completely removed from the floors or substrate.
2. HUMIDITY – If the epoxy product is a solvent based epoxy, it will not be able to bind well in the presence of high humidity. The main source of humidity would be the air. Less obvious sources can include dripping pipes and rising humidity from beneath the ground.
3. INFERIOR OR WEAK SUBSTRATE – This can occur when the epoxy product is stronger than the substrate that it is applied to. An example of this would be weak or low-quality cement foundation. In this case, the cement would detach itself from the epoxy. You must make sure that the epoxy is compatible with the substrate in terms adhesion and tensile strength.
4. PRIMER – When no primer is used, it can cause an epoxy application to fail. This can also happen if an inadequate or bad primer is used.
5. IMPROPER RESIN/HARDENER MIXTURE- This occurs when it has been mixed with incorrect proportions or not mixed for a long enough period of time. The result would be a floor that remains sticky beyond a reasonable amount of drying time.
Ensure none of the above factor affects your epoxy floors by relying on the experts at Floorguard to install your expoxy floors. Visit Floorguard.com today!
My garage was so cluttered and a total mess, I was always embarrassed to have the door open! Not anymore!! Floorguard® helped me design a perfect system for my family, it’s amazing!! Now I keep my garage door open for all to see, it’s organized, and absolutely beautiful!!!
- Pam Orland Park, IL
Really Pleased! Our garage needed some major help – not only was it a mess but the floor was just ugly with all the stains and such. I will agree with the reviewer below – do not go with the cheap imitators! Floorguard not only has a great product, but their installers and service is well worth any extra cost, which is minimal anyway. Our neighbors have commented on how good our garage looks and we’ve recommended them to Floorguard without hesitation.
The garage looks so good! A+ company on every level. Wish I had another garage to resurface!
My neighbor had a floor done by another company that was new to the industry, boy were they sorry. I went with the experts, Floorguard did an incredible job!!
- Tom T., Orland Park
When it comes to adding value to your business, you can’t go wrong with the superior technology and materials from Floorguard
- Jenny P.