Get a Professionally Applied Epoxy Garage Floor
An epoxy garage floor is anti-skid, resists oil stains, and wipes clean with the same ease as a kitchen counter. Epoxy flooring comes with enough variety; you’re bound to find something that appeals to your aesthetics. Choose from different colors and a wide selection of textures and additives.
Most people’s impression of an epoxy floor stems from the industrial epoxy floor which consists of at least three layers of epoxy with a total thickness of 2 millimeters and at least two layers of solid epoxy. The epoxy resin is applied on concrete floors that are in good condition, well sweep and free of dirt with no cracks, chips or grease stains. After the floor is coated and allowed to dry, it is extremely durable and resistant to damage caused by foot traffic, heavy equipment and spills of grease, water and chemicals.
The application of epoxy coatings is best done by professionals as many different problems can develop throughout the whole process. Mixing the epoxy, if done incorrectly could result in unwanted variations in the floor’s color as well as bubbles and pinholes: mix at the wrong speed and bubbles and pinholes could result. Mix your epoxy in small batches and you could wind up with an inconsistent floor color. If the floor isn’t prepped properly, small craters or fisheyes can develop from dust or grease still remaining on the surface of the floor.
Poor adhesion is another problem that might be encountered with an incorrect application. The surface bond is reduced significantly by direct exposure to sun light and high humidity. The bond is also jeopardized if it is applied onto floors that still have water, dirt, dust, oil or grease on them. The fact that the actual application requires expertise to get a smooth flawless finish also makes it preferable to hire professionals to apply the epoxy coating.
The application process
1. Check for moisture content: too much moisture and the floor is not suitable for an epoxy coating.
2. Start by cleaning the floor: vacuum any debris or dust.
3. Use a degreaser and a scrub brush to clean grease or oil stains
4. If needed, use a power washer to remove dirt and stains. Allow the surface to thoroughly dry.
5. Fill in small holes and cracks with concrete patch.
6. Prep the floor by using a shot blaster or diamond grinder to roughen the surface until it is the texture of fine sandpaper.
7. Apply painter’s tape along the bottom of the walls. (You may also tape plastic on the bottom two feet of the walls.)
8. Mix the epoxy’s two parts: the hardener or catalyst and the paint or resin. While stirring the paint add the hardener.
9. Immediately start applying the epoxy to the floor. Complete the entire application in two hours or less. Ht weather requires an even faster application time.
10. Work in 10 foot by ten foot sections and keep the edges wet by painting over them when you move to the next section.
11. Wait 12 hours between applications.
12. After applying the last layer wait 24 hours before walking on the surface and a week before driving the car onto the surface.
Your professional will know all these steps and some hidden tricks that he uses to insure an expert finish. A novice will not know these hidden steps and therefore, will not get the same flawless result. If you want, perfection, hire the professional epoxy garage floor installers.
My garage was so cluttered and a total mess, I was always embarrassed to have the door open! Not anymore!! Floorguard® helped me design a perfect system for my family, it’s amazing!! Now I keep my garage door open for all to see, it’s organized, and absolutely beautiful!!!
- Pam Orland Park, IL
Really Pleased! Our garage needed some major help – not only was it a mess but the floor was just ugly with all the stains and such. I will agree with the reviewer below – do not go with the cheap imitators! Floorguard not only has a great product, but their installers and service is well worth any extra cost, which is minimal anyway. Our neighbors have commented on how good our garage looks and we’ve recommended them to Floorguard without hesitation.
The garage looks so good! A+ company on every level. Wish I had another garage to resurface!
My neighbor had a floor done by another company that was new to the industry, boy were they sorry. I went with the experts, Floorguard did an incredible job!!
- Tom T., Orland Park
When it comes to adding value to your business, you can’t go wrong with the superior technology and materials from Floorguard
- Jenny P.